MPs pay tribute to fallen soldier

0 Sgt-at-Arms Kevin Vickers given emotional standing ovation to open Parliament
October 23, 2014 at 12:28 pm  •  Posted in News by  •  0 Comments

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was honoured with a moment of silence this morning, as Members of Parliament attempted to get back into a normal routine today, following the death of the soldier during yesterday’s shooting at the National War Memorial.

MPs and members of the public gathered at the Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown solider earlier this morning, to pay their respects.

Cirillo was shot and killed while standing guard Wednesday, just before 10 a.m.

At a special seating of Parliament this morning, cameras were allowed inside the House chamber to broadcast the arrival of Speaker Andrew Scheer and Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers.

The broadcast showed a standing ovation from the MPs who paid tribute to Vickers who shot and killed the gunman who entered the Centre Block following the shooting of Cirillo. You can see the video of the ovation here.

When Prime Minister Stephen Harper addressed Parliament, he thanked Vickers and shook his hand. He also shook the hands of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau and NDP leader Tom Mulcair.

Harper told MPs that they are never enemies, but share a common bond.

“We are all Canadians,” he said.


Following yesterday morning’s shooting, Special Forces, police and the RCMP acted quickly to lock down Parliament, as well as schools and businesses in the vicinity of Parliament Hill. Military bases across Canada also beefed up security.

The gunman, a person who authorities were familiar with, was shot by Vickers as he made his way through the Centre Block of Parliament. He was killed before he killed anyone else.

Harper addressed the nation just after 8 o’clock last night, saying, “Let there be no misunderstanding. We will not be intimidated.”

The lockdown on Parliament Hill was lifted at 8:25 p.m.

This tragic event comes just days after a Canadian solider in St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, Quebec was run down by a vehicle driven by a man whom the government said had been “radicalized.”

Leave a Reply