Hazards of Tossing Electronic Waste in the Garbage

0
June 26, 2018 at 1:16 pm  •  Posted in News by  •  0 Comments

Laurentian Valley, ON (June 26th, 2018) – Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre is alarmed at a recent spike in small landfill fires that appear to be caused by improper disposal of small electronics; particularly those containing lithium-ion batteries. While these fires were quickly extinguished by fast acting Centre employees, fires of any size in or around the landfill are of particular concern as they have the potential to emit dangerous fumes from the combustion of a wide range of materials contained within the landfill. Landfill fires can also be difficult to put out if not detected immediately as they can spread under the surface and burn for extended periods of time.

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.